It was my sister Lila who eventually found me. By now, the canoe had drifted south and was making its way into marshy area, but I didn't even care if I got stuck. Instead, I wrapped my arms around my legs and sat there, silently making my point. I did not want to go back home.
I could see Lila coming towards me in the corner of my eye and she didn't look in the slightest baffled by this sudden turn of events. How could she keep a smile on her face at a time like this? Mom and Dad were taking away our summer! And I didn't even know why, as I had left before they could finish explaining. Maybe Lila would know.
"Emma-ly!" she called in her sweet sing-songy voice.
I grunted a hello.
She started skipping, the wind catching in her dress, until she was right across from me.
"Whatcha doin?" she asked, swinging her arms back and forth.
"Wallowing in my sorrows," I sighed.
I looked up at her little face and my heart almost melted. She had kicked off her shoes and was wading towards me. She held her dress over the water, and within a couple seconds had reached the canoe.
"Come on Emma-ly. It's time to go home. It's going to rain soon."
"Rain? You sure about that?"
But then I looked up at the sky and realized that she was right. Dark clouds had gathered without my knowing and the wind was picking up. So I picked up the oar and gave a few strokes. it was all the canoe needed before it reached the shore and I could climb out safely.
"Do you want to ride in the canoe while I drag it back to the house?" I asked, thinking that it would be faster that way.
"Sure!"
Lila settled herself in the canoe and I grabbed the rope. It was time to go home.
"Emma-ly!" she called in her sweet sing-songy voice.
I grunted a hello.
She started skipping, the wind catching in her dress, until she was right across from me.
"Whatcha doin?" she asked, swinging her arms back and forth.
"Wallowing in my sorrows," I sighed.
I looked up at her little face and my heart almost melted. She had kicked off her shoes and was wading towards me. She held her dress over the water, and within a couple seconds had reached the canoe.
"Come on Emma-ly. It's time to go home. It's going to rain soon."
"Rain? You sure about that?"
But then I looked up at the sky and realized that she was right. Dark clouds had gathered without my knowing and the wind was picking up. So I picked up the oar and gave a few strokes. it was all the canoe needed before it reached the shore and I could climb out safely.
"Do you want to ride in the canoe while I drag it back to the house?" I asked, thinking that it would be faster that way.
"Sure!"
Lila settled herself in the canoe and I grabbed the rope. It was time to go home.


I love your stories<3 You are an amazing writer:-)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Megann! :)
ReplyDelete