{1}
I sprinkled a little more flour on the dough, and resumed by kneading. I dug my knuckles into the dough, making the shape bigger. Ma and I were making cinnamon rolls. I'll admit I'm not much of a cook, but being that Pa's birthday was tomorrow and this year he'd rather have cinnamon rolls than cake or ice cream, I figured why not try and help Ma make some for his special day?
She studied my progress with her deep blue eyes. As deep as the ocean, Pa used to say.
"May I?" she asked, and I let her cut in. "You're doing fine, but there's an easier and faster way to do this. Watch and learn."
I nodded, and Ma's fingers flew over the dough. She kneaded it every which way and the shape soon became more of a circle as she stretched it to its full potential.
"Like so." She placed the dough in my small hands and set her messy ones on top of mine. She then went to guiding my hands along the dough.
"You need to take control of the dough. Get into a rhythm. And be firm with it. It's okay to knead it like you're mad at it. That way, you can make sure there's no air bubbles. Just make sure you don't make a hole in it!" She smiled and let go. "You try now."
"Thanks, Ma."
I smiled in return and went back to work. I was gonna make sure that these cinnamon would be the best Pa ever tasted!
{2}
"Yay! We're home!" I leaped out of the car as soon as it had come to a complete stop.
"Come on, Laura!" Peter raced off into the yard, leaving Sabrina and I in the dust.
"Don't go far, kids!" Daddy opened up the trunk.
"You need to help unpack!" Momma said.
"We'll be back in a minute!" I reassured, following after Peter with Sabrina.
"I want to come too!" Little Annie pulled on Momma's skirts.
She was only three years old and could barely walk.
"Oh, no you don't! You're coming with Momma and into the house. We need to get you to bed!"
Their voices grew faint as we drew farther away from them and closer to our destination.
The setting sun looked like a great ball of fire being swallowed up by the sparkling waters of Lake Watson. It was the perfect night to watch the sunset.
Every summer for as long as I can remember, our whole family (and some neighbors) would join us out back by the shore to watch the sunset. Sometimes, when it was a good night, we would even watch the stars and Daddy would teach us the constellations. Throughout the day, we'd play and laugh and swim a lot. I loved living where we did. It was my favorite place in the whole world.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What do you think? :) They're really short and I could definitely see myself continue them (especially #2), but since there are two of them, I figured they should be.
Guess what! Grace has joined our blog! :) Her day will be Monday and we can't wait to start posting with her! That means, we will be getting a new blog design and the giveaway is still on! We just need to figure out what we want to give away. :)



Those are great! I'd love to read more. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome!
Thank you! :) Yeah!
DeleteI love these Jessica! :) And I'm so excited to have Grace be part of our blog! :)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Hannah
Thanks! :) Me too!
DeleteI'm so glad to see that Grace has joined! That's so exciting! :D
ReplyDeleteI love this story, too, by the way! I love your writing, Jess! :D
Yeah, it is! :) Thanks so much!
DeleteI'm so so excited!! Thank you girls!
ReplyDeleteYour welcome! :)
Delete