all about us

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stories, Quizzes, and More! :)

Wow, I can't believe it's Wednesday again! And that next week is Thanksgiving! :O Just so you know, I will not be posting next week as I will be in Sacramento with my family. Now, onto the good stuff...

A story I've been working on...



~ Mermaid Summer ~

Prologue

Mermaid Summer was a summer of change. My life took an interesting turn in those crazy months of no school and all sun. I learned a great many lessons, made and lost friends, and swam in the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.
It was the summer before ninth grade. The summer my best friend abandoned me. The summer I found Jack the Cat, and met Jordan.
The summer of mermaids...


Chapter One: A Place Like Cape Cod

A summer living on a place like Cape Cod can do a lot more to you than you actually know.
Once we heard the news that Aunt Gina and cousin Katrina had invited us to stay with them all summer at their beach house in Cape Cod, Mom was ecstatic. Throughout the last week of school, she flew around the house making preparations, packing, making sure that our dog was settled at Nana and Poppa’s, and purchasing new swimsuits, towels, sunglasses, beach chairs, and the like. It was pretty hectic. But I was very excited, as well.
My best friends from school, Shannon and Mercy, were super jealous and couldn’t believe we would be spending the whole summer apart from each other. I couldn’t believe it either.
But I knew Mom needed this little getaway. Ever since she had opened Sweet Treats Book Cafe last year, there hadn’t been a ton of time for vacation or mother-daughter time. She told me this would be the perfect opportunity for us to relax, grow closer together, and see her sister and niece for the first time in many years. And so, I agreed.
We made our way out of our tiny, Iowan town the day after school let out. We drove all the way to Massachusetts in the Brown Cow without once breaking down along the way. The Brown Cow is our nickname for our ancient, noisy, little car.
Seeing the ocean for the first time was a real treat once we got there. I had never left Iowa before! The Atlantic was huge, of course, with the waves going back and forth, and the sea breeze billowing your hair. It was like magic. And it was beautiful, so beautiful. This part of Cape Cod was such a romantic, quaint little spot. I could see how Aunt Gina and cousin Katrina would want to live here year round!
Wait, what was that out in the water? Could it be a tail? There was a splash to my left and I jerked my head around. But there was nothing.
You silly goose, Lucky. It must have been a dolphin or something.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Once Mom had parked the car and we had unbuckled our seatbelts, Aunt Gina leapt on us like a bird swooping down to snatch a worm.
“Oh, Tasha, it’s so good to see you again! And after all these years...”
Aunt Gina practically squeezed the life out of poor Mom, who was just standing there, letting her do her thing, all the while enjoying the attention.
“I’d have to say the same thing about you, Gina! You certainly look well.”
Aunt Gina laughed and let her go.
“I’m so excited that you will be staying with us this summer. I know Katrina will be happy to meet Lucky, and – oh, we’re going to have so much fun! We’ll have to show you all around town...”
Aunt Gina babbled on as we made our way towards the house. Loaded down with our bags and suitcases Mom had left me with, I turned my head to get a view of the house and its neighbors.
It was a small house, not very big, with a white screen door, sky blue walls, and pale yellow trimming. There were plenty of flowers growing in the tiny front lawn, divided by a sandy pathway, and on either side were more beach houses. Each was spread generously apart, with the ocean on one side and the rest of the small town on the other. I sighed. I had a feeling this was going to be a great summer.
But my smile faded when Katrina strolled through the front door. She wore jean shorts, a graphic tee, bracelets, earrings, and braided sandals. Her dark hair was in a side braid and she crossed her arms and pursed her pink lips. Her piercing blue eyes stared me down in an intimidating sort of way. I stopped in my tracks.
“Hi, Katrina! You probably don’t remember me, but I’m Lucky. I’m your cousin from Iowa.”
I smiled politely and waited for her to reply with something like, “Oh, yeah! It’s so nice to meet you, Lucky! We’re going to be great friends. Cape Cod is awesome!” But I was wrong.
Instead, she cocked her head to one side and said, “Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate you or anything, but when I heard my cousin Lucky and Aunt Tasha from Iowa were coming to stay for the summer in my house in my room, I was not looking forward to meeting you, at all.”
I frowned, not understanding why she was saying all this.
“And my mom was like, ‘Oh, you and Lucky are going to be the best of friends!’ And I was like, ‘Uh, no!’”
She paused in her explanation, rolling her eyes.
“Why am I even saying all this? You wouldn’t understand anyway. Why you haven’t even swam in the Atlantic Ocean!”
And with that, she crossed over to me, grabbed the nearest bag, and strutted back into the house, letting the door slam on her way in.
Perplexed, I followed suit, now doubting myself. Who does she think she is anyway? Why does shy have to spoil the first day for me?
What I didn’t realize was that this was only the beginning of my troubles on Cape Cod...


What do you think of it so far? :)

Also, here is a fun quiz for you to take...

Which holiday tradition best fits your personality?

1. To you, the best part of the party is
a. eating yummy treats
b. seeing someone open your gift
c. singing "Happy Birthday"

2. Your book club is talking about one of your favorite books, so you
a. bring a food that's mentioned in the book
b. make a costume to look just like the main character
c. perform a scene with one of your friends

3. If you were to have a little allowance money left over, you might buy
a. cake-decorating supplies
b. a sketchbook
c. songs for your iPod

4. On Thanksgiving you'll be found
a. making a delicious pie
b. setting the table and making it look perfect
c. telling everyone why you are thankful for them

5. Your favorite thing to write is
a. a recipe
b. a short story
c. a song

6. Your dream room would have
a. a gourmet kitchen stocked with lots of tools and ingredients
b. tables covered with markers, yarn, stickers, glitter, and other arts-and-crafts supplies
c. a stage, a microphone, and a karaoke

7. On TV you'd love to watch
a. a cooking competition
b. a sitcom about a fashion designer
c. a show about a girl who becomes a famous dancer

8. If you wanted to help out with a good cause, you might
a. serve meals at a local soup kitchen
b. make bracelets to sell on behalf of a charity
c. play an instrument for residents at a nursing home

9. On your nightstand, there's
a. flavored lip gloss
b. a pen and paper so you can write down great ideas
c. an alarm clock that plays music

10. At school, you're known as the girl who
a. brings the best birthday treats
b. gets A's in art class
c. auditions for every play

Mostly a's
Making tasty treats

Mostly b's
Creating handmade gifts

Mostly c's
Singing songs

Wow, that was long! :) Have a great rest of the week!

Love,


~ Jessica

6 comments:

  1. That portion of Mermaid Summer made me want to read more! Although I think you should slow the story down a notch. It was sort of rushed a bit. Great all the same! Loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story Jessica!! You're so talented!! <3

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE mermaid summer! it was so good i'm dying to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's an AMAZING story!!! Please post more of it!!! :D
    For the quiz, I got B: Creating Handmade Gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a design for your blog. Check it out here:

    http://testdesignsbylindy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your book, and I can't wait to read more! : )

    ReplyDelete